Tuesday, July 29th, 2014

Patriots 27 Ravens 21 (The 2 TURNOVERS, 2 PENALTIES, 1 DROP Game)

Tom Brady wears a Skirt

1. Chris Carr’s opening kickoff fumble

I’ll admit that, at this point, any good feelings I had regarding the signing of Carr this past offseason have flown the coop. He is terribly indecisive on both punt and kick returns, and his decisions to repeatedly bring the ball out from 5 yards deep in the end zone are bash-your-head-against-the-wall inducing. Fumbling the opening kickoff, in a huge game, on the road in front of a hostile crowd is unforgivable (Chris Carr, get me some WAFFLEFRIES!). The defense held strong in keeping NE out of the end zone, but spotting a team like the Patriots a 3-point lead in the first minute of the game is no recipe for success.

2. Joe Flacco’s Red Zone interception at the end of the 1st half

Tough to say who was more “at fault” here, but there was obviously some miscommunication between Flacco and Mark Clayton. Clayton ran a stop-and-go, Flacco threw to the “stop” part of the route, and Leigh Bodden was left as the only player near the ball. Bodden made a very nice play to pick the ball off, but it never happens if Clayton is there to fight him for it.

The Ravens, trailing 17-7 at the time, had the chance to go into the locker room down by a single score, but instead gave themselves the daunting task of overcoming a double-digit deficit against Belichick and Brady.

3,4. Roughing the passer penalties on Ngata, Suggs.

These two plays are being heavily criticized by talking heads and pundits all over the league this week. They were, unquestionably, ticky-tack. However, those are the rules. It’s on the players to know what they can and cannot do, ESPECIALLY to the guy that the rule book was basically rewritten for. Neither of the “hits” (if you can call them that) on Brady were malicious or put him in any danger whatsoever, but that’s not the point. Blame the refs if you want, but the rule committee are the ones really at fault here.

Suggs looked like he was doing everything in his power to avoid Brady, but he stumbled forward and brushed the QB’s legs. In the 2009 NFL, that is a penalty.

New England scored touchdowns on both drives that were extended by the laundry on the field. In short, they took advantage. Great teams take advantage of the rules, mediocre teams complain about them.

Which do you want to be, Ravens?

5. Mark Clayton’s sudden, last minute stone hands

After all that, the Ravens still had a VERY good chance to win this game. The final drive put together by Joe Flacco was a thing of beauty. Starting at their own 20, down by 6, with 3:32 to go, the Ravens were nearly perfect in moving the ball to the New England 14 with 30 seconds to go and 1 timeout remaining.

With 1:10 to go, and the ball at the NE 20, Flacco floated a pass to Clayton in the side of the end zone. It would have taken a GREAT play to pull it in (and given Tom Terrific a bit too much time for comfort), but the fact remains that the ball hit Clayton on the arms, and he COULD have had it.

Three plays later, Flacco went to Clayton again, this time on 4th-and-4, on a 6-yard out. Clayton was wide open, and a catch would have led to a time-out and 4 shots at the end zone from about the 8 yard line to win the game. Unfortunately, Clayton tried to turn and run for the end zone before securing the ball, it bounced off his numbers, and the Ravens got sent home losers.

I’m not gonna sit here and crucify Mark Clayton…but it’s a pretty safe bet that #89 will be featured prominently in this week’s editions of both “Come on Man!” on ESPN and “Did Not Play Like a Raven” right here at the Nest.

I also feel like I have to call out Cam Cameron a bit this week. Cameron, who has been nothing short of spectacular since arriving in B’More, really shat the bed in this one. If I agree with Mike Preston, you know it’s bad.

Joe Flacco threw the ball 47 times for 264 yards, an average of 5.6 yards per play. Conversely, the Ravens ran the ball 17 times for 116 yards, an average of 6.8 yards per play. The Patriots, even with Brady, Randy Moss, and Wes Welker, were much more balanced on offense, nearly 50/50 run/pass. The Ravens could have used their running game, which was working effectively, to move the ball, extend drives, rest their defense, and keep Tom Brady off the field.

Ray Rice had 103 yards on only 11 carries.

Willis McGahee had 11 yards on 5, but again found the end zone through the air.

Le’Ron “Pain Train” McClain had…0 carries???

What the hell, Cam?!?!

Never was the puzzling absence of McClain more perplexing than when, with 5 minutes left in the game, the Ravens faced consecutive 3rd and 4th-and-1s near midfield. Rice and McGahee ran back-to-back for 0 yards, and the Ravens handed the ball back to the Patriots, who then had the chance to seal the deal then and there.

Is short yardage not McClain’s specialty? He seems to pick up those short first downs every time! Even more maddening was the fact that, not only was he not given the ball on either of those plays, but he WASN’T EVEN ON THE FIELD! At the very least, McClain should have been used in his decoy/blocking FB role there, needing just 1 yard.

Even before this play, I was yelling at the TV for some Pain Train. I was a bit nervous that he had perhaps been injured and the cameras not caught it, but then I did spot him in on a few plays (blocking, of course) earlier in the fourth.

Let’s hope Cameron looks at the film this week, gives himself a few nice “/facepalm!s” and gets back to balance from here on out. The Bengals, for one, are much improved in the secondary this season.

On the whole, the Ravens had a chance to win in the final minute, against a very good team, despite shooting themselves in the foot multiple times. If you have to lose, that’s the way you want to do it. Hey, they weren’t going to go 16-0. I had them penciled in for 2-2 after 4 games, and they are 3-1 with an earlier-than-expected battle for the division lead coming up this Sunday at home. Let’s move past this one and get ready for Cincy.

Injury Front

Finally, regarding two Ravens who were severely injured in the game:

Brendon Ayanbadejo, last week’s AFC Defensive Player of the Week, and anchor of the Ravens’ already questionable kick coverage teams, told the media he is likely done for the season, needing surgery on a torn quadriceps tendon. (Guh. On the play that Brendon got hurt, he is never even in position to be injured if Dominique Foxworth wraps the ballcarrier up and makes a damn tackle, instead of diving at his ankles with a shoulder!)

Paul Kruger, you are the next man up.

Jared Gaither, taken off the field on a stretcher after slamming his head into Joe Flacco’s back, reportedly has movement in all of his extremities. Gaither was too large to fit in the MRI machine at Mass. General Hospital, but X-Rays on his neck and shoulder came back negative. No word on how long it will be until Gaither returns, but we wish the big man all the best in a full and speedy recovery. In the meantime, Michael “Blind Side” Oher will get to live up to his book by moving to the left side, and Marshal Yanda will take over for Oher on the right.

Comments

22 Responses to “Patriots 27 Ravens 21 (The 2 TURNOVERS, 2 PENALTIES, 1 DROP Game)”
  1. Realist says:

at the point when Gaither went down and it was two commercial breaks before they even got him on the gurney, I turned to Mrs. Realist and said, this is still better than watching the Redskins game. Btw, boooooooooooooo Baltimore/Washington based CBS for not showing any games after the 1:00 Bal/NE game.

I don’t know anything about the league…are “refs” those guys that drive the stretcher cart? Or are they the pretty ladies with the pom-poms?

3. urmom says:

I hope there isn’t a conspiracy!

4. Ben says:

It was a good loss, the Ravens will learn from their mistakes and be a stronger team because of it. Better now than the play offs!

5. duker says:

@Realist

Fox had the double header last week not CBS. http://the506.com/nflmaps/

6. The Future Mrs. Joe Flacco says:

I’m mad when you blame the refs. I’m mad when you don’t blame the refs. I’m done with this blog. I’m the first one to post a comment on this blog. – Christmas Ape

Pick a side and stick with it, you tool. And seriously, I know its tough to find entertainment in your life when all you have to your name is a silly pee-colored towel to wave around in the air, but get a life and leave this blog alone already. What a loser.

Tough loss but one thing I know about this team under Harbaugh that it’s a very resilient team. So we got the Bungles next week and I think they are frauds. Harbaugh will have the guys ready to play. Now I will go out and celebrate that the Orioles are NOT a 100 loss team.

You think a team that nearly lost (and then TIED) the Browns is a fraud? Pshh…..

Seriously, how great would it have been for them to get a tie for the 2nd year in a row? Only the Bungles.

Well I don’t know anymore the Broncos look legit and the Titans are the best 0-4 team in the league. I hate that statement no matter what happens the Titans are still 0-4. But I do think they could be a lot of other teams though.

10. Goob says:

Holy SHIT!!! Ape is back. Why the hell didn’t you respond to my comment last week when I mentioned some facts that stated we were up two games in the division and now are in first place. HOWEVER…… no response from you.

Your team loses two games in a row and you’re SILENT. You only come on here when your team gets a win or you can somehow be at the same level as us or above us. Because you’re so predictable, I was hoping to not hear anything from you until your team took 1st place (hopefully won’t be happening this year) or when you were playing us.

BOTTOM LINE is that you’re still 2nd / 3rd in the division and will definitely be in 3rd after next week once we beat the Bengals because they own the tie breaker. THATS RIGHT the BENGALS own the tie breaker against your team of yellow and black pussies.

I found my girlfriend asking me last night, why the hell do you scream so much at the TV when the Steelers are on? She said I scream a lot when the Ravens are on and I’m probably 10x as loud as anyone I’m watching the game with, but she says I kick it up a notch when the Steelers are on. I don’t know which part I hate more about them… the team… or Christmas Ape. Does anyone else feel this way or am I crazy?

Can you please stop coming on here and being a gigantic douche until you’re in 1st place or until you play us and we can talk shit to you.

I can’t wait until we beat your team, and take their lunch money. I think that’s something you’re familiar with… trust me.. we’ve all seen your picture.

11. Goob says:

You’re not allowed to cue someone until you’ve answered the cue request of someone before you. So until I get a comment, you’re not allowed to cue. Actually… you took my idea of cue-ing people and used it for yourself. As someone in the “media” you should have learned that. You could get fired… OH WAIT THAT ALREADY HAPPENED DUMB ASS!

Did Ape just admit he liked a Ben Affleck movie? Only a towel waving jackoff would admit to liking Ben Affleck. There is a reason why Matt Damon is still aloud to star in movies. If it wasnt for Matt Damon and Kevin Smith, Affleck would be the beer man at Fenway Park.

13. Goob says:

I hope your life ends like David Carradine’s did

14. Realist says:

@duker

Thanks man, that is very insightful. However, NOW, booooooooo the NFL for making stupid ass TV scheduling. God Damn Jets/Saints is on and they don’t show it cause of assholey assholes. I have fuckin TV schedules, and I hate having stupid trees blocking my 26 degree angle so I can’t get DirecTV

Well I think Ape is a parody of himself

16. Jon says:

I agree with your point about complaining about the refs. However, like in baseball, you ask them to be consistent. Don’t throw a flag when Suggs brushing against Brady’s knee if you not going to throw a flag when Warren lowers his helmet into Flacco. Much more respect for Flacco getting up and call the next play instead of whining for a flag. At least his jock strap has something to protect.

Anyway, like you said, if you were going to lose one, better to know you can beat them instead of being blown out. I look for the boys to rebound big this week.

Ape should play in traffic

18. Goob says:

Posting fake comments acting like Christmas Ape…. Damn that sucks, I was pretty upset. I take back the Carridine thing. Lame move whomever did that

19. UnbiasedGuy says:

To bring back some form of civility, I just wanted to say that both Welker and Wilfork played thus confirming what I said regarding the Patriots winning this one.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] The Ravens lost their first of the season in Foxboro, and the loss came down to five critical mistakes made by the purple and black. 1. Chris Carr’s opening kickoff fumble I’ll admit that, at this point, any good feelings I had regarding the signing of Carr this past offseason have flown the coop. He is terribly indecisive on both punt and kick returns, and his decisions to repeatedly bring the ball out from 5 yards deep in the end zone are bash-your-head-against-the-wall inducing. Fu Read more here: Patriots 27 Ravens 21 (The 2 TURNOVERS, 2 PENALTIES, 1 DROP Game) [...]

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by B'More Birds' Nest. B'More Birds' Nest said: Patriots 27 Ravens 21 (The 2 TURNOVERS, 2 PENALTIES, 1 DROP Game) http://bit.ly/NjWhf [...]