Thursday, November 27th, 2014

Crimson silver lining? Meh.

Once again, the Pittsburgh Steelers made plays in the fourth quarter to win the game.

And the Baltimore Ravens did not.

For all the hand-wringing, critiquing of Joe Flacco’s line-of-scrimmage presence, and bitching about Cam Cameron we could do, it all pretty much comes down to those two irrefutable facts.  Two facts that have come to characterize this rivalry over the last half-decade, especially when #7 is lined up under center for the bad guys.

This one hurts.

Hopefully, the Ravens will bounce back and win at least three of their remaining four games.  Dreams of a home playoff game are pretty much just that at this point.  But after last night’s performance, what confidence do you really have that this team is, or was ever, a legitimate Super Bowl contender?  We had waited and waited for them to finally put up the kind of offensive performance that we all hope they’re capable of.  Then, last night, when the time couldn’t have been better – the Pittsburgh Steelers were ripe for the picking – our great-on-paper offense managed a measly ten points.  TEN POINTS.

Ooooh, but it was the vaunted Steelers’ defense.

You know, the one that gave up 20 points to New Orleans. And 21 to the Bengals.  And THIRTY-NINE to the Patriots.  Yeah, that one.

And the Ravens managed but a touchdown and a field goal.  With more than a handful of chances in the third and fourth quarters to go out and win the damn game, the Ravens’ offense sputtered and faltered and looked completely inept.

How absolutely pathetic.

Derrick Mason said it best:

“It’s sad to say, but we’re just not a good offense at times,” Mason said. “We really aren’t. For whatever reason it is, I don’t know. But we’re not a good offense at times. I’m not pointing any fingers at anybody because I’m part of the equation, but we’re just not a good offense at times.”

“I might get crucified for this one, but with all these people we’ve got on offense?” Mason said. “We’re not a good offense at times. Just call it how you see it. Call a spade a spade. If we were a good offense, we’d move the ball up and down the field. Especially with the people we have and the quarterback and the personnel we have. But we’re just not a good offense at times. ,.. We look like the Bad News Bears at times. And I’m a part of it.”

Mason said said several times he wasn’t pointing fingers. And that he shared in whatever blame there was to go around. But it was time to stop making excuses, both for the players and the coaches.

“We’ve just got to come to a point where it’s stop all the [stuff] and play football,” Mason said. “Put some points on the board and not allow teams to come back in the second half, not put the pressure on our defense to have to stop somebody in the last second of the game. Just [put] some points on the board and move forward.”

Mason said it was obvious the offense has putting the defense in an unfair position lately with its second half struggles, and there was no point in denying it anymore.

“I’m tired of playing tough games,” Mason said. “Let’s just go blow somebody out. We’re capable of doing it and we just don’t do it. I don’t know what it is. Nobody says we shouldn’t be able to put up 30 points against a good team. We’re not a good offense at times. I know it gets frustrating for (the defense). It has to. I can see their faces coming off the sideline. They have to get frustrated. We can’t put out defense in that situation.”

And as far as the play that really decided the game – the forced fumble by Troy Polamalu – Terrell Suggs feels the exact same way about it that you, I, and every Ravens fan out there does.

Thank you Sizzle.  He saw it.  We saw it.  What the hell Flacco, Michael Oher, Matt Birk, and the rest of the Ravens’ offensive line were thinking, I’d love to know.

Just a terrible, terrible loss.

Again, all credit to Pittsburgh.  They made the plays in the fourth.  The Ravens did not.  Again.  Same old story.

Comments

29 Responses to “Steelers 13 Ravens 10 (The HALOTI BREAKS BEN’S NOSE, BEN BREAKS OUR HEARTS Game)”

At least we can’t bitch about the refs about this one hell we got away with out getting flagged they showed the Miller hit. I swear that McClain broke his neck. Tough Loss but then again Pittsburgh is not going to go to the Super Bowl. If New England wins tonight they will probably win homefield advantage and if the Steelers have to go into Foxboro they will get killed. Harrison might even banned from the NFL if he looks at Tom Brady the wrong way.

2. Rooqster says:

In the 3rd year, it is simply a MUST for quarterbacks to have pocket awareness. Besides the completely failed playcalling resulting in no points in the 4th Quarter, Pittsburgh gained momentum after their safety Troy P. broke throughthe O-line and made Flacco appear as blind as a bat. I don’t look for Brady or Manning out of Flacco, but come on, once you see if lined up so close (the long hair give it away like T Sizzle says), you gotta watch your back and not just flail your arm in the air w/out looking…. you’re no more a rookie damn it.

You can’t even really be mad about the loss. Just incredibly disappointed. How the hell is this offense worse than 2009′s and 2008′s? They’ve scored 260 points through 12 games this year. In 2009, 271 through 10 games, in 2008 (rookie QB), 292.

They’ve led in every single fourth quarter this season. If the offense was worth a shit – and could put up points in the 4th – they could easily have 10 or 11 wins.

Extremely, extremely disappointing.

4. Here’s how you can be mad:

You whine all week about how Roethlisberger is a drama queen and a wuss. Then he wins even after playing with a hurt foot and a broken nose sustained by a cheap shot from Haloti Ngata.

You talk up Ed Reed as amazing game-changer and Ed Reed does nothing. Meanwhile Troy Polamalu makes the play of the game.

You whine some more about an imagined officiating bias for the Steelers. Then Baltimore gets damn near every call in the game and still loses. BAD ROONEY’S NEPHEWS!

You point out that the Steelers defense is overrated despite that the fact that Pittsburgh still allows fewer yards and points per game than the Ravens “vaunted” defense. And they didn’t give up 34 points to the Bills. Yeah, 39 to New England sucked, but as we saw last night, the Pats are plain killing people right now. If they played Baltimore again, they’d do the same thing.

And you delete comments because you’re butthurt.

That should cover it.

Nope, not mad.

Disappointed.

And not bothering to address any of your baseless non-points.

I deleted the comments because I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were just being a drunken asshole, and I was drunk and sulking. It’s noon though, so even though you’re a blogger I have to assume you’re sober. And yet still classless, even after a win.

Keep trolling though.

6. I wish I had time to sit at home all day and argue with this asshole.

Nobody likes a sore winner. I am looking forward to another soul crushing Steelers AFC Championship loss against the Patriots.

8. It’s never fun to hitch your hopes to the Patriots to beat other teams. I know. Then again, I guess it must be as amusing for you all to see us lose to them as it is for Steelers fans to watch the Ravens eat it every time against the Colts.

Yeah, I’m doing some trolling. It’s good for dark part of the soul. I was testing to see whether you’d keep that comment up. You did, so good on you, Nest. I’m proud of you. As for calling them “baseless non-points” well, we both know what you’ve written.

And don’t play the classless card and pretend like you haven’t gloated both on DCSN and KSK. You have. Just think of it as me making the Steelers next disappointment that much sweeter for you. Hey, even if it took an incredibly illegal hit, your team injured Heath Miller. Plus Flozell Adams is gimpy and we don’t have a punter now. So buck up, assholes.

Yeah, I’m doing some trolling. It’s good for dark part of the soul.

As if Steelers fans have a “light part” of the soul.

Or a soul at all, for that matter.

I am not hitching my wagon to anybody besides I am just being honest. I think the Patriots are in the a class of their own and I doubt anybody can go into Foxboro and beat them including the Ravens.

11. You might be right. Brady’s an asshole but he’s playing amazing right now, as much as I hate to admit.

Maybe some savvy defensive coordinator can find a method to slowing down the version of their offense that has formed since Moss left. So far, no such luck. We’ll see.

Holy shit, Matt and Ape and civilized conversation?

These comments may need to be deleted simply because Big Brother may arrest us all on suspicion of being pod people.

The Pats’ offense looks unstoppable. It looked the same way in 2007 though, and Osi, Tuck, Spags & Co. figured it out then. Plus they had a bit extra hop in their step last night trying to shut Rex up. Which we can all thank them for.

You know what the scary thing about the Patriots? Outside of Brady and maybe a few other players they are an extremely young and talented team. That defense they have is only going to get better. As impressive they looked last night I mean putting 45 points on a 9-3 team I think the Steelers game was even more impressive. The only team I think could possibly beat them is the Eagles.

Yeah, that whole “dynasty decayed” thing may have been a bit premature. Damn it.

I knew I sounded like an idiot when I was chanting the “Dyansty is Dead” at Foxboro at last years playoff game.

In other news, Mike Singletary going with Alex Smith again. I’m shocked – SHOCKED, I tell you – that Troy Smith can’t keep a job.

If we’d have had him Sunday, totally different outcome.

In a battle of Troy vs. Troy, Smith would beat Polamalu EVERY TIME!

Gotta love Ravens fans.

At least our star defensive lineman wasn’t suspended for 4 games for being an ass. Also the dumbass Ravens fans think we should of kept Rex. At least Harbaugh didn’t compare his team to the 85 Bears because they lost in primetime. I am starting to hate the Jets more and more. Fake Ass Ravens wannabes. Thank God somebody crushed them and Ape if you are reading this I hope your Steelers crush the Same Old Jets.

I wouldn’t go that far. I hate the Jets, but I hope they pound the Steelers (along with the Bengals, Browns, and – lol – Panthers).

Hoping against hope for that AFCN title still.

19. Unless Sanchez suddenly turns competent or the Jets force a bunch of turnovers (far more likely) Rexy’s team doesn’t match up that well with the Steelers.

Hoping to win with a run-first offense in Pittsburgh = lolz

A lesson the Raiders learned all too well.

Yeah. SanchezFAIL brings me great joy, at least.

I can’t stand the Jets at least I can respect the Steelers and Patriots. The Pats and Steelers accompished something. The Jets are all talk and completely stole the Ravens identity.

The identity of “run your mouth now, win later (maybe) – And get a hundred undisciplined penalties while you’re at it?”

Dude, let ‘em have it.

I am glad Nest, Ape and I found some common ground. We all think New England is going to win the conference and we all hate the Jets. Its the holiday season the time for togetherness.

Enough football talk, lets talk Orioles. The Orioles traded for JJ Hardy and Mark Reynolds. Roberts, Jones, Markakis, Hardy, Reynolds, Scott, Pie/Reimold, Wieters. 2011 its the Year of the Bird. The AL East will be tough from top to bottom

/Seriously stop laughing

//See Red Sox getting Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford
    //Yankees will probably sign Cliff Lee

Oh I retract my previous statement

Yeah, I’d like to at least thank the O’s for helping to distract me from the pain of the Steelers loss, if just a bit.

And also thank Luke Scott’s dumb redneck ass for getting us a ton of traffic from people Googling him.

Yeah and where is your take on Luke Scott’s comments. Its the only time the Orioles gotten national press since the Teixeria booing. But at least the O’s won’t lose 100 games this year unlike say the Pittsburgh Pirates. Oh and the Ngata Boxing with the Speed Bag that is Big Ben’s head please put that photo back up because you totally predicted that.

Haha, I put it up on the facebook page yesterday. Need to replace the Ben head with the new broken-nose model though.

I was going to use that picture again, and also do something about Mendenhall’s RIDICULOUS alligator arms when he saw Suggs coming.

But once they lost it just felt so…empty.

29. HereWeGo says:

Did the Steelers loss take this site down completely? No postgame reaction from Goob and no pregame for the Texans??