Thursday, October 30th, 2014

Steelers Fans Try to “Slam” GOOBVISION? Please.

Does everything a Steelers’fan says have to involve the number six?

Steelers blogger Dale Grdnic, asked SIX times for me to “come talk to [you]”, so here I am!

I was going to go easy on you because I know Steelers24x7 is in its infant stage as a website and I thought the same was true for its writers… I’m so happy I was wrong!

You’ve published a book titled Pittsburgh Steelers Glory Days and have been a “writer” for over 15 years? Wow, I figured with all of that experience under your belt, you would put a little more effort into your error-filled article.

Every Steelers fan missed the point of this video and my intentions for filming it. I am in agreement that someone doesn’t have to be from their favorite team’s home market to justify themselves as a fan.

My sole purpose of this video was to show the lack of knowledge by the same people who default to the amount of Super Bowl championships their team has won as their only argument.

A foolproof way to weed through “real” fans versus “fair-weather” fans is to ask basic questions about the franchise they cheer for. I’m not asking for the waist sizes of the Steel Curtain, I’m asking basic team information.

There is a clear epidemic going on in the NFL and that is why so many people are fans of one team, and a successful one at that. The overwhelming presence of one fan base from people with no affiliation to the town the team is from versus the other 31 NFL franchises is staggering.

Dale, let’s take a look at what you said and why you bother me.

“First of all, those Raleigh, N.C. rednecks are not typical Steelers fans”

Sammy’s is home to the Steel Triangle Fan Club, and hosts 200-300 Steelers fans each game; this club is a “dues-paying membership organization”.  I don’t know how many people who are “not typical Steelers fans”, would pay money to sit together and watch football games in a bar.

“When the Ravens are a franchise for more than a cup of coffee, which basically is their existence compared to the Steelers’ history, then come talk to me.”

Comparing the success of an older franchise versus a younger one isn’t necessarily accurate. Time has been on the Steelers side and who’s to say the Ravens can’t win five more Super Bowls in 63 years?

After 78 years as a franchise, the Steelers needed to have some success or championships before their franchise was relocated; the success of the franchise has depended heavily on the second half of their existence.

The one Super Bowl the Ravens have in their first five years is far more impressive than the 14 years it took the Steelers to make their first playoff appearance. Oh by the way, it also took the Steelers 41 years until they won their first Super Bowl.

“I know Joe Flacco has taken the Ravens to three playoff appearances in his three NFL seasons. Come talk to me when he has a winning record in the post-season. I won’t hold my breath.”

Dale, may I please talk? Thank you! Joe has a 4-3 playoff record and unless I missed something huge (like you did), I’m pretty sure that’s a winning record.

I’ve wished many things on Steelers fans but death isn’t one of them. Please take a breath because that team isn’t worth your life.

“The Steelers are 6-1 and have the best record in the AFC, while the Ravens are 4-2. They lost to the Tennessee Titans the next week, also lost to the Jacksonville Jaguars and should have lost to the Arizona Cardinals.”

Really? You’re making this too easy on me Dale. The Steelers are 6-2 and are on top of the AFC only because you haven’t had your bye week yet; the Ravens would own a tiebreaker with the Steelers because they did happen to beat them head to head.

The Ravens are 5-2 (not 4-2) and have lost both games to opponents the Steelers beat. Not only did the Steelers lose to Baltimore, they lost to the Texans, who we beat.

Determining a team’s success head to head based off of common opponents shows you do not know what you’re talking about. If you do want to stick with that theory, how does losing to the Ravens 35-7 factor in?

“The Ravens have just one win in Pittsburgh since 2001. Don’t count on that trend to change anytime soon. Come talk to me when it does.”

Dale, may I speak again?

In reference to your comment, the Ravens have TWO wins in Pittsburgh since 2001. For the sake of argument and since Steelers fans love pointing out our one Super Bowl, let’s just look at the decade.

2000- Ravens win at Three Rivers

2001- Ravens win at Heinz Field

2006- Ravens win at Heinz Field

2010- Ravens win at Heinz Field

The Steelers are dominant at home, and we’ll admit that, but please get your facts straight.

“Many fans can’t afford to go to the games, while some just can’t get there. And, yes, Stub Hub is a good way to get tickets, but prices usually are exorbitant for a team that has been sold out for several decades now. Come talk to me when that’s the case for the Ravens.”

Guess what… I’m talking to you again!
The Ravens have sold out EVERY home game since the franchise came to Baltimore in 1996. M&T Bank Stadium has a capacity of over 6,000 more seats than Heinz Field and the Ravens also have a huge season ticket wait list.
I live five hours from M&T Bank Stadium; I’ve attended at least 4 home games and 2 away games per year while living in North Carolina.

My season tickets have DOUBLED in price in the past four years from $45 to $90 so I understand what the impact is. You blame the failing of the steel industry for the spread of Steelers fans nationwide and now you want to cry poverty too? C’mon Man!

“One should surmise that the Ravens can only win at home against the Steelers, and that shouldn’t change this week, either. If it does, you can come talk to me about it.”

Do we see a trend here? Based off of all the times you’ve invited me previously to “come talk to [you] about it”, things should look good for the Ravens on Sunday.

Dale, you’ve frankly wasted my time but also inspired me to write a book.

Apparently publishing companies are handing out deals to people with ZERO credibility.

For those doubting the accuracy of my video: Everyone I interviewed was shown in the video except for the owner of the bar. I didn’t edit the responses or questions to make the people look stupid; I edited them to help the video flow based off the questions they were asked. Only three of those people (girl, Steelers t-shirt and guy under the TV) had been to more than two games. Only one person actually was from Pittsburgh (girl).

Luckily for “Steelers Nation”, I didn’t post more of the questions for time purposes. No one else had a correct answer and I actually spared you from more embarrassment.

Comments

12 Responses to “Steelers Fans Try to “Slam” GOOBVISION? Please.”
  1. HereWeGo says:

Haha this is almost as childish as the usual back and forth with Ape. Neither of you seem to do a great job checking facts…

“Sure, the Ravens whipped the Steelers every which way you can slice it in that game. But I would expect a much different result this time around. Just look at the way the two teams have played since then. The Steelers are 6-1 and have the best record in the AFC, while the Ravens are 4-2.”

So he was right about the records “since then”. Looking forward to some actual analysis instead of this pointless banter…we all know the history doesn’t matter when these two teams meet.

Oh Blaine, you’re such a party pooper.

Where’s the party schartah?

4. I love how he says since then… only when it takes out the good stuff about the Ravens.

Since the Ravens were awesome… let’s look at this…

“Your honor, I’d like the 35-7 assbeating stricken from the record please!”

Overruled.

Articles like that is the reason why I don’t take bloggers and internet journalists seriously. If you are going to write slam pieces about somebody at least do a little bit of fact checking. I would continuing bashing the late Dale Grdnic but I assume he died from asphyxiation when he found out Flacco had a winning record in the playoffs.

Dale Grdnic’s article. Not Goob’s at least Goob tries to be funny. Does anybody want to buy the late Mr. Grdnic a vowel?

8. Stillers Fan says:

Came across this site a year or so ago, and I usually visit it a few times in the week leading up to Steelers-Ravens because it’s always interesting to read the other team’s perspective on a pivotal match-up.

I am a HUGE Steelers fan. Have been ever since I moved to Pittsburgh when I was 7, and continued to be after I left for college 6 years ago, as well as when I moved away from the Steel City for work at the beginnngof 2010. I know when the Steelers won their Super Bowls, I have been to about 2-3 games a year (one at M&T, which I’ll share more about in a moment), and am sure that I could answer almost any trivia question you could come up with about the Steelers of the last 17 years (admittedly my knowledge is a little rusty of the Steelers from times before I knew what a football looked like). So I’ll tell you why this video doesn’t bother me (and shouldn’t bother any Steelers fan – Dale inclluded)…

Because I could give a fuck what a few morons down in NC think. There is no question in my mind that there are some fair weather fans of the Steelers – there are a bunch for every team (including the Ravens). Now if I picked a few people from where I live who claim to be Ravens fans (which is closer to Baltimore than NC is to Pittsburgh) I imagine there are a lot who would not know the answer to similar questions. But I imagine you wouldn’t be too worried about that- because you know your shit, and you don’t care about some idiots who clearly are morons who know nothing about the Ravens.

I’ve begun to ramble so I’ll leave it with this – if you’re a Steelers fan, you shouldn’t give a shit about some morons in NC. If you’re a Ravens fan… well you probably shouldn’t either.

Steelers 27 – Ravens 24: Ben finishes with 2 TDs and 1 INT, Rice finishes with 130 yardsfrom scrimmage and a TD (because it wouldn’t be a sports blog post without a prediction right?)

9. Scott says:

Translation: “I hate seeing proof that the fan base of my favorite team essentially consists of fair-weather cockroaches.”

Go fuck yourself, you towel-waving fairy! =D

Now that’s how you do this rivalry hate thing right.

Stillers Fan, you’re not the one we have a problem with. Like you said, you actually lived in Pittsburgh when you were young, so you SHOULD be a Steelers fan, and good on you for knowing your history. I’m happy to talk real football with a guy that supports his hometown team, even if it is that nasty black and yellow.

Our issue is the ridiculous amount of “Steelers Fans” all over the country that have never been to Pittsburgh, never seen a game in person, know nothing about the team, etc….that call themselves fans. Sure, Raleigh is a little hike from Pittsburgh but THAT’S THE POINT. Look how bandwagon-y these people are.

But here in “Steeler Nation” there are Steelers bars in every state. Do you think if Goob did this at the equivalent to Sammy’s in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, or Boise, Idaho, the results would be better, or worse? I’m guessing they get worse as you get further away.

If you’re a REAL Steelers fan, you should be offended and annoyed by the amount of bandwagon-hopping that goes on because your team is successful, and the term “Steeler Nation” should piss you off more than give you a sense of pride.

11. Goob says:

Amen Nestminder!

12. Stillers Fan says:

I see what you guys are saying (save Scott who missed my point entirely) – and I think you make some valid points. There are Steelers bars in practically every city in this country (a luxury for me to be sure, but for puple bleeding fans like yourselves I’m sure it’s a tremendous annoyance), and I would be willing to wager that there are some fair-weather fans at those bars. But I would also bet that if you went to a Ravens bar in Tulsa, OK that you would have an proportionate number of people who would have no concept that would no very little of the Vinny Testaverde lead teams of the early 90s.

All I’m saying is this – it doesn’t piss me off at all that there are these morons who call themselves “fans” because they are not representative of our fan base, despite what you guys seem to think. By all means the people in that video deserve to be ripped apart for being idiots, and Dale probably deserves to be made fun of for taking umbrage at your portrayal of them. I’m just saying you shouldn’t make sweeping generalizations about a fanbase just because you have an eye and a passion for seeking out idiot Steeler fans.

I know I’m not going to change your minds, so I wont waste any more time trying to – I just know that on a lot of the Steelers blogs I read Ravens faithful will argue with the writers, so i thought I’d take a shot at it.

And Scott, you can blow it out your ass you Ratbird piece of shit. Tell Flacco to get his fill of that gay little unibrow’d fist pump this week because Kiesel and Hood are going to rip his arms off and let you’re midget running back use em for stilts (am I doing the rivalry hate thing right now? :)